Sign in to follow this  

Hi Everyone

I am in the process of manufacturing a universal trolley jack pad, intended to save pinch welds from bending and wear when using a trolley jack from the side lifting point.

A picture of a current sample has been included below, the final product will be very similar to this. It is to be made from polyurethane perhaps with small amount of rubber in the mix for various reasons, the exact chemical composition is still being decided. It will come with a warranty of which the details are not yet decided upon.

post-157584-0-46477500-1431662125_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to enlist to help of you guys to check the compatibility on as many makes and models as possible, I am also wanting to gauge potential interest in the product.

The pinch weld slot is 10mm wide and 25mm deep for compatibility reference

I am also hoping to get some insight into price, ie how much would it be worth to you ??

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

- Michael

Edited by Yates_Engineering

The dimensions are easy enough to determine by simply reivewing the slot in the factory scissor jack. All you need do is walk around an import dealer with a tape measure, inspect their boots and measure their scissor jack cups. I'm happy to measure my jack if I remember.

Price is a tough one. A lot of places use super-thick urethane foam rectangles, and I've used the head I cut from a scissor jack in the past. I would think that if postage was $10 Australia wide, then it would be a difficult sale beyond $25, since it's something for which there already exist budget home-brew alternatives and a lot of import owners already have long low-profile ramps to gain jack clearance. If using ramps, it's best to jack from the subframe/diff anyway.

I like the fact that you're looking into making something like this, since it is a much better alternative to what I see people doing.

Would be great to have in the car as a "just in case I need it" item like jumper cables.

$25 delivered sounds good to me.

id buy two.

$40 delivered id be fine with. $30 delivered id be happy with.

Wont be any good for moderately lowered cars. I wouldn't say my car is slammed but i cant even get my supercheap jack under the sill as it is let alone with another 40mm added to the pad.

Cool idea though.

The dimensions are easy enough to determine by simply reivewing the slot in the factory scissor jack. All you need do is walk around an import dealer with a tape measure, inspect their boots and measure their scissor jack cups. I'm happy to measure my jack if I remember.

Price is a tough one. A lot of places use super-thick urethane foam rectangles, and I've used the head I cut from a scissor jack in the past. I would think that if postage was $10 Australia wide, then it would be a difficult sale beyond $25, since it's something for which there already exist budget home-brew alternatives and a lot of import owners already have long low-profile ramps to gain jack clearance. If using ramps, it's best to jack from the subframe/diff anyway.

I like the fact that you're looking into making something like this, since it is a much better alternative to what I see people doing.

An excellent idea, thank you very much for the feedback and encouragement ! Much appreciated

Would be great to have in the car as a "just in case I need it" item like jumper cables.

$25 delivered sounds good to me.

I like your thinking !

id buy two.

$40 delivered id be fine with. $30 delivered id be happy with.

Thanks for the feedback !

Wont be any good for moderately lowered cars. I wouldn't say my car is slammed but i cant even get my supercheap jack under the sill as it is let alone with another 40mm added to the pad.

Cool idea though.

A very good point ! One option which improves this problem slightly is to hold the pad in place and then move that jack in underneath but like you say, a valid issue for many people who don't have access to a low profile jack (myself included).

It would have to be strong. I tried making up something, the slot just split apart as I loaded it up. If it works and is safe then I would be in for a couple of them.

If you are looking for another idea, something to allow axle stands to be used on the standard sill jacking points would be good. Have never found a good spot for them to support the car.

It would have to be strong. I tried making up something, the slot just split apart as I loaded it up. If it works and is safe then I would be in for a couple of them.

If you are looking for another idea, something to allow axle stands to be used on the standard sill jacking points would be good. Have never found a good spot for them to support the car.

Great to hear stockblues15 ! Rest assured it will be strong and wont be splitting, polyurethane is the perfect material to solve the splitting problem. Have you ever used those coloured single use earplugs ? Well they are polyurethane, you can squish them until the cows come how but they do not break and always return to their original shape. The same applies to this jack pad, the tricky part however getting the hardness and quality at the perfect level for the weight of a car. It needs to be hard enough so it doesn't compress like an earplug plug but soft enough so it conforms to the cars pinch weld shape and evenly distributes load ! This is the fine tuning which is being done as we speak !

The jacking points on the sill are a good place to put your jack stand.

If you ease the car down onto them gently, you won't have a problem. Otherwise, the crossmembers.

UPDATE !

The trolley jack pad has been redesigned, in addition to the obvious shape and size tweaks it now has patent pending compatibility slots in the bottom which allow it to be used with the budget friendly small dish trolley jack I'm sure most of us begin our wrenching career with.

Thoughts ? Comments ?

I am currently waiting on a sample of the new and improved pad, I will be back with more updates as they come to me.

post-157584-0-68371400-1441962085.jpg

post-157584-0-60134400-1441962086.jpg

I know how much a patent costs, there is no way that design can be patented and upheld unless you sell a high volume at a low cost. Also your product won't fit all popular jacks. I'm not trying to be a negative Dick , but that's how it is.

What happens if it comes loose and someone is crushed? Likewise not trying to be negative but u have you consider this scenario; are u prepared for lawsuits?

Thanks for the input S15 sxytime, that is definitely a hurdle which will need to be dealt with, only time will tell.

Your absolutely right, it wont fit all popular jacks, however it will fit many and the compatibility slots increase the number that it will fit.

What are your thoughts on the product itself ?

Thanks for the reply davlos, you raise a very important point ! Obviously the intent is to provide a product that will not come loose or split etc. However in the case that something unfortunate did happen proper precautions when jacking a car will safegaurd the user. Information will be provided with the product on these precautions. I hope we all know that when operating a trolley jack the user must not be under the car in any way until jack stands are in place. By following this simple rule even if a very unlikely accident happens there will be no danger to the user.

What are your thoughts on the product on general ?

Thanks for the input S15 sxytime, that is definitely a hurdle which will need to be dealt with, only time will tell.

Your absolutely right, it wont fit all popular jacks, however it will fit many and the compatibility slots increase the number that it will fit.

What are your thoughts on the product itself ?

It is a great idea but I don't think you can make much money out of it as there are other ways people jack their cars up anyway

My car isn't super low but I have to use a scissor jack (which already has a 'U' style cup on top) to lift it enough to where I can get the trolley jack under my car.

At this point, the trolley jack goes under the cross member etc so at no stage would this pad be of use to me.

The jacking points behind the front wheels are already a little bent so its a bit late also.

I think most peoples cars would be too low to fit a trolley jack under the side of the car and that's before you stack a poly pad on top.

Thanks for the reply davlos, you raise a very important point ! Obviously the intent is to provide a product that will not come loose or split etc. However in the case that something unfortunate did happen proper precautions when jacking a car will safegaurd the user. Information will be provided with the product on these precautions. I hope we all know that when operating a trolley jack the user must not be under the car in any way until jack stands are in place. By following this simple rule even if a very unlikely accident happens there will be no danger to the user.

What are your thoughts on the product on general ?

Considering some dumbass woman can sue McDonalds and win, for putting a coffee cup between her legs, driving away, spilling and burning herself... I doubt a warning label would be sufficient. The reality is that courts entertain some of the most ludicrous claims, and should the accident be the result of your product breaking or slipping off, they'll likely hang it on you. The main reason jacks have a "don't work under a car supported by a jack" is due to the hydraulic seals blowing and the jack collapsing. There's virtually no risk of the metal snapping due to its thickness; your product isn't in the same category of safety being poly.

I personally think that the original jack-cup filler was the safest and best idea. Good for all cars? No; I drive mine onto a few planks of wood screwed together and then jack from the crossmember. Good for a whole variety of cars? Sure.

It's a good idea for a product and I like engineered solutions, but those that have figured out jacking via the sil is a bad idea might already have solved their problem by jacking from the crossmember or subframe anyway. That's a solution that doesn't cost anything, and the rest obviously don't care.

I will never jack from the sil after seeing repair costs to a mates skyline.

Hi Everyone !

These bad boys are now completed and ready to go !

Thanks for all your suggestions, they really helped !

Sorry it took me so long !

As you can see in the photos I've done away with the slots to err on the side of caution in terms of safety.

If you any thoughts let me know ! :)

If your interested shoot me a message.

I don't think I can post prices and links etc on here without breaking the rules (If an admin happens to see this and I can post that stuff please let me know ! :P)

I've also changed the business name too Guerrilla Automotive Innovation.

Michael

post-157584-0-90826400-1480114911_thumb.jpg

post-157584-0-45770500-1480114913_thumb.jpg

Nice to see you follow through. I like the product but you need to correct the webpage item description..... i don't know too many Jack's with a 80cm dished contact pad, 80mm perhaps? 😃

Oh my ! Nice find, thanks for that ! I shall change that ASAP !

What did you think price wise ? Competitive ?

Well I'm buying two at this stage and am asking friends and family to get an order together so..... I guess I'm happy with the price :-)

Might want to look at this....

yatesengineering.jpg

Can't say I've ever seen a web host that expects users to wait 15 minutes for a domain name to resolve, assuming it actually would.

Thanks for the heads up mate. I'm not using that domain or provider anymore, I musn't have disconnected the two when I cancelled. I have a new name and website now, I wasn't sure if, now that I actually have a thing to sell if I would be breaking the rules by putting a website link up. If that's allowed I would love to. I mentioned about the new name in my other post but must have gotten lost in there :)

I don't think I can post prices and links etc on here without breaking the rules (If an admin happens to see this and I can post that stuff please let me know ! tongue.png)

Michael

Considering how dead NS is atm, I'm ok with this. Post a URL, and you might wish to consider changing your username to suit the new business name.

I didn't notice your name change comment, hence I went to your old URL.

Just ordered a 2-pack from your website

Great to hear ! Pre-orders will be shipping out Friday (16/12/16) at the latest ! Let me know what you think :)

I don't think I can post prices and links etc on here without breaking the rules (If an admin happens to see this and I can post that stuff please let me know ! :P)

Michael

Considering how dead NS is atm, I'm ok with this. Post a URL, and you might wish to consider changing your username to suit the new business name.

I didn't notice your name change comment, hence I went to your old URL.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that, I shall do it now.

If anyone is keen to take a look my website is as follows,

www.guerrillaautomotiveinnovation.com.au