Sign in to follow this  
2JZ-S14A

Valve Springs And VCT

Hi all, im in the process of upgrading my cams. I have chosen Tomei 256 cams to keep the vct so that i gain some response as i have a gtx3076r.

I have read multiple threads and articles but cant find a definite answer. Im not sure wether i should get the Tomei Type A Springs and reuse the standard retainers or go for the BC valve springs which come with new retainers. My question is will the bc springs be to stiff for the VCT and cause it to rattle or fail?

http://www.frsport.com/Brian-Crower-BC0200-Single-Spring-Titanium-Retainers-Nissan-SR20DE-DET_p_15564.html

Thank you

Edited by 2JZ-S14A

BC springs will be too stiff and lunch your VCT prematurely.

Just stick with the Tomei stuff, you won't get valve float that easily, however next question how much power are you aiming for?

just replace the intake variable cam gear and solenoid.

while the cams are out.

otherwise you will be unbolting hte RAS to get to the camshaft to replace it later when it will fail.

trust me........... although i have Procams and Type A springs

BC springs will be too stiff and lunch your VCT prematurely.

Just stick with the Tomei stuff, you won't get valve float that easily, however next question how much power are you aiming for?

Im chasing 300kw. Im currently sitting on 250kw @18psi. Moreso i want improved response. So its fine to reuse the stock retainers?

Edited by 2JZ-S14A

just replace the intake variable cam gear and solenoid.

while the cams are out.

otherwise you will be unbolting hte RAS to get to the camshaft to replace it later when it will fail.

trust me........... although i have Procams and Type A springs <-- Tomei confirmed Type A is sufficient for Procams / poncams

Mine has been fine so far. I dont like the idea of $500 for a new vct gear.

yes stock retainers are ok to reuse. some prefer them over the titanium retainers.

id do the valve stem seals while its pulled apart as a must do item.

i didnt like the idea of buying a new VCT either. it was good for the first 10000kms, then it shit its self, untill oil gets hot and engine temps stablise. otherwise it rattles like a mofo.

or a new oil change up to 3000kms.

just say'n wish i did it all at once, cuz cbf doing it now untill i get some motivation.

I've heard "performance springs" were pretty good and mild enough to keep vct healthy.

A rule of thumb I had explained to me was to match springs to cams by using the springs recommended by the cam manufacturer. Ie tomei springs with tomei cams, HKS springs with hks cams etc....BC cams and springs killed the VCT on my brothers car, I used poncams and tomei springs and Im all good.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Im going to order tomei springs and get them fitted then tuned.