sounds better

cons:

ILLEGAL!

$10000+ fine if you get cought

bad fuel smell

black soot build up on rear bar

Ive got a replacement pipe for off road use cost me $70

seriously who has actually got that 10k fine. its such a myth

yeah, but who would like to be the first? not me.

just get a hi flow cat

not a good idea if your thinking of regularly driving it past cops

pros:

more power

flames

sounds better

cons:

ILLEGAL!

$10000+ fine if you get cought

bad fuel smell

black soot build up on rear bar

Ive got a replacement pipe for off road use cost me $70

seriously who has actually got that 10k fine. its such a myth

it is a myth and its bullshit.

People have been defected many times, and even without a cat, they dont get defected because of that - it is a defect, but you'll likely be done for something else before you see a cop get down on their hands and knees to check for it.

I also know of people who have gone into Regency without one, the only thing that happens is they wont pass you until you put one on.

The inside of a cat converter is like a tight honeycomb construction, without this, obviously the air is gonna travel faster. Less restriction = more power

hi-flo cat means u wouldn't get reamed for having no cat and still have minimal power lost.

Will lose some power down low. Will gain a bit up top. The environmentalists won't like you, the cops won't like you. You'll get a bit more gangas though.

bashing your cat is over rated, I've done it to most of my cars and didn't notice any real power difference. I hate the smell but I do love the louder spooling sounds.

I just put a hi-flow cat on my xr6 turbo on saturday and the car feels mega faster! I had put it on the dyno around 2 months back and put down 211.1 rwkw i then put a bigger front mount on and got a bit more power since the cat though i put it on the dyno saturday afternoon and it has freed up my exhaust so much im hitting 9psi and pulled 257.9rwkw before the standard computer hits boost cut! Point of my dribble is though the stock cat was extremely restrictive that with a hi flow and my other few mods i have done allowed me to pick up 3psi! and a buttload more power!

a hi flow cat can cost between $170-$500. i got a race pipe made up (straight piece of pipe to replace cat) for about $80 tops in 3 inch piping to match the exhaust.

^^^ Yep, I've got a straight through pipe made up for about $80 and placed an empty cat shell around it that the exhaust shop had lying around so it looks like I've got a cat.

I've had no cat on my car for 4 years now, been pulled over a f**kload of times and never have the police said anything. As said before, the $10000 fine is bullshit, you'll just get defected if caught.

bashing your cat is over rated, I've done it to most of my cars and didn't notice any real power difference. I hate the smell but I do love the louder spooling sounds.

not true,

The 1JZ can be used as a perfect example on what happens when u remove the cat or (get a pipe put through it) ... u go up around 2psi naturally .... dose that tell u something? i am sure few ppl on here with 1JZ can back that up. This is so because having no restrictions helps the turbos spool easily cos of less back pressure therefor they will spin with that bit more psi.

I just recently put my Cat back in cos its way too loud for street driving, and i can already tell the the power decreased a lil, also my boost is reading 6.7psi now rather than 8.3psi

But yeah u get to hear the turbos spool like crazy when u remove the cat or pipe it. Just remember to Pipe it if u bash it out otherwise it will start to rattle as most cats have 2 inner walls and when u gut them without a pipe they ever so slightly hit one another and it sounds utterly gay.. oh also dont smell the crap u bash out of it lol..

The black soot building up on the rear bar - how quickly does it build up on a car that has no cat? 3 days after washing my car I've found a nice fine layer of black soot built up on my rear bumper. I know the black soot is normal but is it normal for it to build up so fast?

yea its not a 10k fine..

i got caught but it looked like i had a cat.. and i still got a engineer cert for the car with no cat.. as long as you can keep the noise down

you should be ok..

i now have a new car and just put a 3" cat on it..

ohh yea.. you will notice the power by removing your cat..

The black soot building up on the rear bar - how quickly does it build up on a car that has no cat? 3 days after washing my car I've found a nice fine layer of black soot built up on my rear bumper. I know the black soot is normal but is it normal for it to build up so fast?

Might need to get a tune?? i've had no cat for a year now and never had soot build up on my rear bar

i also havent been caught yet.

if EPA catches u , ur in alot of troubles and drama....

but u gain more power and sounds tuffer but people will not like the smell of the gas

if its a daily... ur puting urself at risk...

high return comes high risks :P

the 10 G fine is shit!..

that fine is only for businesses eg the exhaust place that do it for you!

only can get defected nothen else... i was thinken about drilling a 50mm hole in mine so it still works kinda.

i thought decats were highflow :ph34r:

:lol:

:yes:

I've only got half a cat. It got bashed and one-half the the honeycomb inside came loose, so I removed it. Was thinking about punching it all out. But thought I'd keep as much as I could. It definitely smells a lot worse, but it goes harder and sounds heaps better....like the car can actually....exhaust. This was on my SR20DE.

Yeah get rid of the cat and replace it with a straight through, you will find if you hollow out the cat it still i causes a slight restriction due to the hollow inside the cat being bigger than the exhaust internal diam. Then the air having to force its way from the hollow of the cat back into the exhaust system again.

as for the $10 000 its only if a workshop does it for you that’s when they suffer (as far as im aware) but like you would dob them in anyway, its not like it will get you out of being defected.

I’ve been defected quite a few times and never been pinged for not having one.

But the choice is yours

Freshy

The stinky smell alone not running a cat is enough to warrant using one. Using a proper high flow such as Metalcat has negliable power reductions so theres no reason not to use it.

imo get rid of it and get a straight through.... made my car sound really mean :wub: thanks gktech

imo get rid of it and get a straight through.... made my car sound really mean :wub: thanks gktech

No problems at all.

Of course your car is race use only! :ph34r:

I have a brand new 3" de cat pipe for sale if anyone wants it, including gaskets for $60 PP.