Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Line

RB25DE plus T?

Hi Guys, I know it is probably asked a bit but not easily found...

I was going to be putting an RB20det from my friend's car into my 180. This isn't going to happen in a hurry due to an issue with my mates replacement motor.

My question is this;

I have an R32 RB25DE lined up for $1000 (already have the box from it). Working within a close budget to what I was (1000-1500 to get it in after purchase of engine package) would I be better of going this way rather than looking for another RB20DET?

I know it is a good option if I spend some cash on the motor but I just really want it to be a step up from what it would have been with the RB20DET.

I have AN idea on what is required but it is an internet and hear-say understanding. I know that is all I will get here :P but can anyone in the KNOW please confirm for me what I would need to do to get it up and going to a point that I could be safely and smoothly getting 180-200rwkw?

(GTST Injectors, GTST AFM, Manifold, R33/R34 Turbo, Turbo Lines, Dump Pipe, and ECU? - anything missing?)

I am not sure if a head gasket is required, what thickness and how much would I expect it to cost me to have fitted if required?

Another main question is would I run an RB20DET ECU? Does it plug straight in, and is it able to be tuned it to suit? (or is another ECU required)

Anything else anyone could help me with would be great so I can make my decision if to get the motor or not!

Any experence or results with this setup would be sweet!

Thanks guys!!

Todd

yes the rb20det computer can/does run the r32 rb25de , they have the same injectors as rb20det silver top (actually all of the sensors are the same). sam cornell (dr.drift) has done this conversion a few times i believe, it might pay to send him an email :) .

what you will need is:

rb25de

exh manifold

turbo and associated lines

wiring loom

computer(remap wil be needed)

head gasket isnt neccesary but it is advised. in memory the 25de has about 9.5:1 CR as opposed to 25det 8.5:1 CR

and not much else. what power figure are you aiming for?

Cheers for that toff... I have sent Sam an email about it, just wanted to get some other opinions from people who may have done it themselves or who are driving with one in front of them.

When you say loom, do you mean it needs the RB20det loom to suit the ECU?

What would I expect the head gasket to cost fitted?

Thanks mate!

Todd

Last conversion we did we found it easier to use the rb25 loom rather than chop and change a rb20 to fit, then again its been done before depends how good you are with a soldering iron :)

Why don't you just go with a rb25det in the first place?

you can pick them up from $1200-$1500, and would save you a bit of hassle.

Plus with its lower compression, it would probably last much longer than the de+t

RB25DETs are much more expensive than that dude... The R32 RB25DE and RB20DET looms are the same, all plugs are the same, everything is in the same spot as I'm using my normal RB20DET loom to run my RB25DE head, everything plugged straight in.

And RB25DET CR is 9:1, so if RB25DE is 9.5:1, it's not too far off. A good tuner will be able to get around it make it safe. Will also aid response.

Would definitely be going the R32 RB25DE+T over the RB20DET.

Also, you've got then got the perfect head to do an RB30DET conversion :) With an NA block, you'll have a CR of 8.3:1, so that's a nice way to get around the high CR if you want :P

RB25DETs are much more expensive than that dude... The R32 RB25DE and RB20DET looms are the same, all plugs are the same, everything is in the same spot as I'm using my normal RB20DET loom to run my RB25DE head, everything plugged straight in.

And RB25DET CR is 9:1, so if RB25DE is 9.5:1, it's not too far off. A good tuner will be able to get around it make it safe. Will also aid response.

Would definitely be going the R32 RB25DE+T over the RB20DET.

Also, you've got then got the perfect head to do an RB30DET conversion :) With an NA block, you'll have a CR of 8.3:1, so that's a nice way to get around the high CR if you want :P

Just need to look around

$1200 RB25DET

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fs...to-t191291.html

Found that with two minutes of searching. I am sure you can pick them up even cheaper than that.

So instead of getting a tuner to try and get the CR right, you can just get an engine that the factory made right in the first place.