Sign in to follow this  
turk180

funny noises

hey guys been a while since i been on ns.com, but had to come on and ask a quick question to the techies.

a lil while ago i thought my brakes had had their day because there was the metal noises coming from what i thought was my brake region, so i got the fronts upgraded to 300 brakes, and changed rears, also machined the whole lot, etc.

turns out, it wasn't the brakes, when i put my car in reverse (mostly) i hear a screaching noise from what sounds like the drive shaft, also sometimes when driving normally i hear this sound... so need some help....

any advice is good advice

i know it sounds stupid but are you sure the brakes aren't sticking or rubbing alittle - i had the same problem but it was a piece of road gravel that had been wedge in - had to take the caliper apart to find it but you said that you have already replaced the pads so maybe 1eddie is right - maybe a wheel bearing on its way out

best of luck

hopefully it is just a wheel bearing. if so i can replace it easy on my summer break!!

nah definately not a piece of gravel, checked that already.

f**kin such an annoying noise but. i'll check it out soon, thanx guys

i have a similar thing.. but kinda a metal on metal groaning kind of noise that sometimes happens when i reverse.. i can't work out what it is as its only sometimes, usually in the morning the first time i reverse and swing out.. was suggested to me by a mechanic it might be the planetary gears in the diff though, coz we put it up on the hoist and couldn't find anything loose or anything. He reckoned sometimes they don't settle back into place properly an ya get a bit of noise till they are back in place.. or something like that.. not sure how ya check that though..

ok might explore that a lil further too.. ;) thanx mate