Sign in to follow this  
kevin2good

Battery light on

Hey guys,

On saturday I did the basic oil and filter change, and than after i Started my car the battery light came on. I drove it round for bout 30mins after that, but still the light flashed on.

strange thing is that on Monday when I drove it to the auto electrician, half way there the light went off and its been ok so far.

Anyone have any idea whats the go? Is it alternator charging problems, battery needing a change, regulator?

thanks guys

your alternator could be on its way out. Maybe just a loose connection somewhere

bumped the signal wire on the alternator when you were changing the oil filter? or similar

bumped the signal wire on the alternator when you were changing the oil filter? or similar

hi mate, well from what i know there are 3 wires connecting to the alternator...one is ground, the other is a pretty beefy looking wire and the other one is a plug in one which i assume is the signal wire...

mechanic says it needs a whole new alternator and he quoted me something ridiculous like $600 so will have to look elsewhere.

yer well considering its only happened after ur service i'd be looking REALLY hard at connections and make sure u didnt bump something b4 u pay out the arse for a new alternator

Could be purely coincidental that it happend after a service. Did you get any oil or water in the alternator? Has it come on since?

alternator :)

could be a loose positive connection but most likely will need to be overhauled or a new one

agreed with protius, can be coincidence that it happened after a service, parts on cars will shit themselves, jujst sometimes it happens not long after services

its a customer at a mechanics best excuse, ive heard it too many times :P

well about 2 month before it stayed on after the engine started than went away when i rev it abit... did it about 3 times over a that period, but now its staying on. checked to see that all the connections are firmly connected.

although that u mention water..i did top up my washer bottle but since its dried up...but yes it does sound like coincidence.

If you have a multimeter you can check to see if your alternator is charging. At idle it should read around about 12 volts, then rev it up and it should rise a volt or two. If not its FUBAR.

Does it light up when the ignition is switched on like the brake and oil lights do, If not then its to do with the signal wire. If it does and stays on after starting its probably in the alternator.

well about 2 month before it stayed on after the engine started than went away when i rev it abit... did it about 3 times over a that period, but now its staying on. checked to see that all the connections are firmly connected.

although that u mention water..i did top up my washer bottle but since its dried up...but yes it does sound like coincidence.

That means the brushes have worn out. When it flickers it means they are getting low and not making great contact. Now that it's on solid theres no contact at all and it's time for a new one.

Best bet is go 2nd hand...

If you have a multimeter you can check to see if your alternator is charging. At idle it should read around about 12 volts, then rev it up and it should rise a volt or two. If not its FUBAR.

Wrong.

A properly working alternator will charge between 13.2 and 14.7 volts (13.7 - 14.2 been optimal) at any revs. You will get a slight increase with revs, but not whole volts.

Check is best done with the high beams (and any other electrical devices) on.

as U-TurnSX said. if the alternator is charging, should be 13+ but not in the high 14's, don't want it overcharging.

don't know what type of car you have. most likey be a 2 pin plug onto the alternator. one is signal and one is the light. make sure there are clean connections and the pins arent loose. etc. make sure the ground terminal is clean, no grit.

it would be a lot cheaper to get your alternator reco'd instead of replaced too. if the light stays on; on the dash. it will most likely be the reg in the alternator. which means its not charging at all tho.

That means the brushes have worn out. When it flickers it means they are getting low and not making great contact. Now that it's on solid theres no contact at all and it's time for a new one.

Best bet is go 2nd hand...

Wrong.

A properly working alternator will charge between 13.2 and 14.7 volts (13.7 - 14.2 been optimal) at any revs. You will get a slight increase with revs, but not whole volts.

Check is best done with the high beams (and any other electrical devices) on.

Sorry, didn't want to get technical or anything, all i was getting at was it should rise abit with revs if it is charging.

I'm used to working on 24volts systems.

Hi guys,

thanks for the input! took it to the auto electrician on the weekend and turns out to be the regulator so had the whole thing reconditioned. almost didn't start in the morning getting it to the shop..all is good now!

Thanks, same thing is wrong with my car... will take to auto electrician!

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

Last Wednesday the battery light on my 02' S15 came on and has stayed on.

At the moment there doesn't appear to be any sign that there's something wrong.

It has been 4 days and the car still starts up and drives around fine.

Am I pushing my luck by still driving it???

Battery will last a while if you don't use any electrically heavy stuff like the demister, a/c, lights, wipers. Then eventually your battery will die and you will have to buy both a new battery AND and alternator. Just get it fixed.

Yeah, i plan on replacing it, I'm just waiting for my mechanic to come back from holidays.

Cheers.

Whenever you are working on the laptop or any mobile than it is mandatory thing that you should have to on your light. Suggesting you essay shark reviews to read about the disadvantages about it and how it effects your eyes.