Sign in to follow this  
D_Stirls

Oil filter Removal block for CA18's

Hello All,

There have been a few stories on NS.com and SAU about people having problems with their sandwich plates not fitting and snapping the filter bolts. The SR boys have had a removal block available that removed the factory filter assembly completely and removed these problems (obviously these are used as part of a remote filter setup). My brother (GROWLY custom machining) and i have finished just our first Removal Bracket for CA's after a few weeks of designing, (and giving us enough time to get the papers drawn up for the design rights). It came off the machine centre this afternoon and i trial fitted it about an hour ago. We still have to trial it on my running engine (still a couple weeks away due to other parts being made and fitted) but we can't see there being any problem.

Here's the pic's;

Image553.jpg

Image554.jpg

Image557.jpg

Image558.jpg

These Shots are taken with the Factory Manual Oil Filter Assembly to give a sign of the size compared to the factory Bracket;

Image565.jpg

Image566.jpg

My Auto Filter Assembly with the factory heat exchanger and the sandwich plate i had fitted;

Image568.jpg

Image569.jpg

With the factory Assembly removed;

Image570.jpg

With the bracket Fited

Image582.jpg

Image579.jpg

With senders Attached;

Image572.jpg

Image575.jpg

Let us know what you think?

That looks awesome, good work there guys.

I was considering putting an oil cooler on my CA a while back but really wanted to remove the stock water/oil cooler in the process.

Good to see you have included two threaded holes for pressure sensors and the like.

I take it that you would need to run a right angle bend off the top most fitting, also what did you do with the coolant lines for the factory cooler?

Did you just run a single hose instead, or block it off?

Will definitely keep an eye on this thread to see how the trial run goes and to see when they are ready for production and sale.

very nice. that chrome or polished? looks the goods

It's polished, the other ones we do will be anodized as you can't see it easily where it is (the alternator has been taken out in the pictures) so there is no need for it to be polished. This one we just used some spare aluminium that we had and it is the wrong grade so it can't be anodized.

I take it that you would need to run a right angle bend off the top most fitting, also what did you do with the coolant lines for the factory cooler?

Did you just run a single hose instead, or block it off?

I'll just be running a single line, but there is no reason that you can't just block it off as the manual CA18's don't have that line at all.

And yes you run a 90 or 135 degree bend on the top fitting. Putting the line on the top was the easiest way to arrange the fittings without having any restrictions or having a number of setups, which would have made it time consuming to make.

ill take one if theres no problems with it after testing :yes:

Been waiting so long for one of these... Keep us posted on when you'll be selling.

the water/oil cooler that you have only came out on the later model 1990's+ ca18de/t's mine had it and i removed and blocked off those lines and ran a oil cooler.

looks very good.

the water/oil cooler that you have only came out on the later model 1990's+ ca18de/t's

its actually a JDM DET Auto fitment for s13's

Id suggest an IN and OUT marking to suit your target market

Are the CA remote oil filter mounts easy find to go with this or would we just get one that is more commonly available such as an SR one and using the filter that suits that? Or maybe even an RB20 one as I'm sure they use the same filter as the CA, correct me if I am wrong.

its actually a JDM DET Auto fitment for s13's

strange because mine and a mates both came with these and they are both manual (havent been converted).

I'd say they would have had an engine swap before they came to Australia. I have the original engine out of my factory manual 180 and that doesn't have the cooler (in fact that engines filter bracket is the one pictured with the one we made) and the engine that is in my car now is from a wreck that i bought that was converted to manual and that does have the cooler. There was a post about the coolers a few months ago with S14's and S15's and it's the same on that case; the manuals don't have them and the auto do.

Id suggest an IN and OUT marking to suit your target market

That's probably a good idea.

So what are you saying about the silvia market lol ;D

Are the CA remote oil filter mounts easy find to go with this or would we just get one that is more commonly available such as an SR one and using the filter that suits that? Or maybe even an RB20 one as I'm sure they use the same filter as the CA, correct me if I am wrong.

The RB's use the same filter (not sure about 26's though). we'll probably make up both the bracket needed so you won't have to go hunting to find the one you need.

I'm using 1 half of the one pictured below and i will either find a filter to match the thread on the bracket or i'll go to a performance shop and get a speedflow adapter to bring it back the the CA's 3/4-16 oil filter thread.

9c53_1.JPG

How these comin along?I'm interested in getting a setup once available.

I started the car for the first time yesterday and it's looking good no leaks and good pressure. it's going on the dyno on Saturday and if it get through that with problems then it'll be close to being ready. the top fitting will have to be different in that there will have to be a 90 fitting in the block instead of the nipple but that's the only change that has to be made so far.

I started the car for the first time yesterday and it's looking good no leaks and good pressure. it's going on the dyno on Saturday and if it get through that with problems then it'll be close to being ready. the top fitting will have to be different in that there will have to be a 90 fitting in the block instead of the nipple but that's the only change that has to be made so far.

Sounds sweet.How ya gonna market these,as a kit with cooler core,remote,lines etc or just the plate?

It'll just be the plate but we probably include the filter block as well.

Ok guy's after running this for a number of weeks the design is ready.

We will take orders for two weeks and then they will be made.

They will come in an anodised blue colour with polished brass fittings and stainless cap head bolts will also be included as well as the part number for the gasket ($

The removal bracket by itself will be $150 and we will do a kit with the filter bracket as well for $200.

If you are after one or have anyquestions PM me.

things like these make me miss my ca.....dale has prolly the best looking ca that i have seen in a longgggggggggggg time cant wait champ

Good news, I will be keen on one of these, do they still come with speedflow (dash/an) fittings?

How long will it take from make to ship? My build should be ready in a few weeks...

Do you want a deposit or funds upfront?

Cheers,

Matt

It's come with polished brass fittings so they will look like yellow gold. Because the bracket is going to be blue it will look quite good with the gold on blue.

I like, I really do, when these ganna be for sale?

They will come in an anodised blue colour with polished brass fittings and stainless cap head bolts will also be included as well as the part number for the gasket ($

The removal bracket by itself will be $150 and we will do a kit with the filter bracket as well for $200.

Were taking orders for the next two weeks and then they will be made.

Hell Yeah.I'll pur-chase for sure.

very very very good cnc work there champ!

haha, sorry didn't see it.

I'll make sure I keep you in mind when I end up getting an oil cooler (gotta put the turbo in first) cos that's quality work right there.

What thread on the inlet and outlets?

The thread is the right thread for "JIC -10" fittings so you can use Speed Flow, Earls, and Aeroquip fittings. An industrial fittings store will have heaps of generic fittings that fit.

The way we have the outlet facing will make it cheaper for you to by fittings because you will only need straight ones, the bent ones are 4x the price of the straight ones as i learned, and i needed 3 of them at $45 dollars each.

If you want to know some places to get good prices on fittings in the city then let me know because i have just been thru' it all when i made my kit up.

The thread is the right thread for "JIC -10" fittings so you can use Speed Flow, Earls, and Aeroquip fittings. An industrial fittings store will have heaps of generic fittings that fit.

The way we have the outlet facing will make it cheaper for you to by fittings because you will only need straight ones, the bent ones are 4x the price of the straight ones as i learned, and i needed 3 of them at $45 dollars each.

If you want to know some places to get good prices on fittings in the city then let me know because i have just been thru' it all when i made my kit up.

Sweet.I'll talk to ya bout this when I pick it up.Good to hear that you did your home work, not just slapped it together like some people(proof of a high quality part).

Interested to purchase one for my engine rebuild i am doing at the moment. How do i go about getting one?

Are you guys planning on doing another production run of the removal bracket and filter bracket in future?

Are you guys planning on doing another production run of the removal bracket and filter bracket in future?

The first run is only being finished today, they are off to the anodisers tomorrow. They were supposed to be finished 8 weeks ago but we had some suply problems. I think we have a couple spares so if you want one give Matt (my brother) a call.

We also changed the design slightly to make it easier to fit them.