Sign in to follow this  
robbo_rb180

rob's sil80 garage ornament.

Sounds like good plans for the bonnet. thumbsup.gif weather sucks heaps man, i was meant to pull the engine out of my car this weekend dry.gif

finally got everything all together to put in the 2way. thanks scott(stocks13)

i have set aside today to get everything ready for next weekend at the bituman sprints.

to do list:

fit new diff & axles

oil change

fix coolant leaks

fix the fuel pump cover

more low

fit fire extinguisher

check that nothings loose under the bonnet

wheel alignment sometime during the week

i think thats all that needs to be done.

high mount manifold is on hold for now as my mate has had to fly down south for work, so it will get done whenever now.

well lost all motivation satday to do anything after a big friday night.

sunday went to do the diff & couldn't get the axle nuts undone so i gave up on that & did everything else.

last night finally got hold of a rattle gun and fitted the new diff & axles. new diff is really good, wish i had bought one a while ago.

so now the car is pretty much ready for the track day on satdaythumb.gif

just have to sort out some paperwork, looking forward to being able to thrash the car legallytongue.gif

the track day went pretty good, had heaps of fun ended up 10th out of 14 in class & 42nd out of 73. started out doing 52sec laps & got down to 48 flat by the last round.

was interesting the first few laps driving with the 2way diff but got the hang of it after ther first round. next time i'll get some semi's as talking to a few guys it should drop my times by 2sec's. had a bit of a mishap in the last round & locked up the brakes & ran off the track but didn't do any damage.

was able to give the car a good thrashing in the last round with plenty of sideways actionthumbsup.gif .

i am happy with the result considering i was on street tires, untuned motor & it was my first time on the track.

the only issue i had was a leaking heater hose, so that should be an easy fix.

can't wait til do the full series next year & do some improvements to the car.

time for a quick update

the new exhaust manifold is almost finished the design from last post the last post was changed to something a little bit different.

had a photoshoot for qld street car magazine, should be in the an upcoming issue.

took the car for a road trip to airlie beach at easter with some SAU members, went well up the highwaywhistle.gif but has now got some issues.

and the cars will be sitting in the shed for rest of the year(thanks work)sad.gif .

i am hoping to do all the sprint rounds up here & attend a few events in brisbane next year. so there will be alot of changes to the car to improve it

so early next year i'll do another rebuild and fix all the problems, finally build a motor, install the new turbo setup & get a decent tune.

How much does a custom mani usually cost? And what sort of advantages would you get over an ebay special?

How much does a custom mani usually cost? And what sort of advantages would you get over an ebay special?

from etm or 6boost about 1200-1500

my mate is making mine for alot cheaper. i have had this made to be different to whats out there.

advantages are it will never crack.

got bored this arvo so i decided to see what was causing the water leak. after stripping out the loom & vac hoses under the plenum, found that one of the waterlines to the oil cooler was cracked. so i had aquick dig around in my bucket of hose & found some tghe right size & just enough length. so thats finally fixed.

went out sunday night and did some tuning, have sorted out most of the cruise afr's & low boost map. might head out tonight to do a bit more.

heres a pic of the new manifold & gate setup(excuse the shitty camera phone)

Image0099.jpg

looks good man. sucks the car isnt going to be run much man.

this will be the last update for a while, so here we go

car has pretty much been sorted now tune wise. by the seat of the pants dyno about 220-230kw @ 12-13psi, not evan in the turbo's efficientcy rangeohmy.gif .

got another wheel alignment and made a huge difference has heaps of grip in the corners & gets the power to the ground without any problems. so after that was all sorted it decided to bust a coolant line again, this time in midday trafficmad.gif . a tow truck ride & a new hose and it was going againcool.gif

so now the cars in hibernation for a while, should be out hitting the track, february next yearthumb.gif

^^^ Spewing about the breakdown in traffic. Would of been embarrassing!

You going on exercise/deployment are ya? (Reason for car hibernation?)

just bought a full aero kit this arvo off Tas Dave and a big thanks to my wife for organising it all.

new manifold is pretty much all welded up now.

i have a few more ideas to fix up a few things and see how they go when i get back.

Did you get a full aero kit or just the front bar? I'm still after the skirts and pods to chuck on the vert.

Did you get a full aero kit or just the front bar? I'm still after the skirts and pods to chuck on the vert.

full kit tongue.gif , its just missing the covers for the 2 side ducts. if ya know someone who does fibreglassing ya can get a mould of them if ya want.

I would but pretty sure aero skirts and pods are different from 180 to S13.

I would but pretty sure aero skirts and pods are different from 180 to S13.

nah, mate they all the same size.

ya thinking of the style difference with type x & aero.

quick update

car is still in the shed so no change there but have had a few bits arrive over the past month. so now i have a pile of parts accumalating in the loungeroom.

the aero kit arrived and its in pretty good condition, just needs a small crack fixed. HEL oil cooler kit arrived from england finally but came with the wrong coloured hose & fittings so there is a few months wait on the new ones to arrive and ets lock spacers and bar tab ends to make a weld in rear brace.

also been looking at getting a carbon hatch & bonnet as a good friend is now a distributor of carbon products and can get them at a good price but i won't be buying them for a while as i am going to europe in a few weeks.

saw your car at metal mania last weekend, looks great!

thanks mate, good to hear it still looks good as i haven't seen it for a few months now:(

got told yesterday the new manifold is finally finished:thumbsup:

just got sent this

new setup complete.jpg

fab work all finished. should be sent off for ceramic coating within the week.

Hey can u show a close up of the clutch master and how close is ya motor sitting from the dire wall?

Hey can u show a close up of the clutch master and how close is ya motor sitting from the dire wall?

sorry mate, i am away at the moment but from memory engine sits about 25mm off fire wall and the clutch master sits about 10mm off the plenum.

sorry mate, i am away at the moment but from memory engine sits about 25mm off fire wall and the clutch master sits about 10mm off the plenum.

Cool I just checked mine and my motor sits 40mm from the fire wall

as usual its been a few months between updates.

after trolling the forums in my spare time i came across a member selling a forged motor with the lot and hardly any km's on it. so i snapped it up quickly.

specs are:

rb25 s2 built by red r racing

Mahle forged pistons

spool rods

crank was balanced, grub screwed

block decked, honed, acid dipped

block grout filled

nitto oil pump

ross metal jacket balancer

n1 water pump

oil restricters

head to sump oil drain

refreshed head

gtr valve springs

tomei pon cams

r34 neo CAS

r32 gtr rocker covers/timing cover

mines cam cover baffles

working vct

gates timing belt

made 350kw on e85

so this should make the car alot more reliable and with a decent tune it should make 280-300kw with my new turbo setup.

also bought r33 rear brake setup with dba rotors & decent pads off a mate for cheap.

i have worked out everything now to finish off the car and finally get it engineered, should only take about 2weeks to finish when i get back.

after its tuned i'll be driving to brisbane to finally get some track time and enjoy it.

as usual its been a few months between updates.

after trolling the forums in my spare time i came across a member selling a forged motor with the lot and hardly any km's on it. so i snapped it up quickly.

specs are:

rb25 s2 built by red r racing

Mahle forged pistons

spool rods

crank was balanced, grub screwed

block decked, honed, acid dipped

block grout filled

nitto oil pump

ross metal jacket balancer

n1 water pump

oil restricters

head to sump oil drain

refreshed head

gtr valve springs

tomei pon cams

r34 neo CAS

r32 gtr rocker covers/timing cover

mines cam cover baffles

working vct

gates timing belt

made 350kw on e85

so this should make the car alot more reliable and with a decent tune it should make 280-300kw with my new turbo setup.

also bought r33 rear brake setup with dba rotors & decent pads off a mate for cheap.

i have worked out everything now to finish off the car and finally get it engineered, should only take about 2weeks to finish when i get back.

after its tuned i'll be driving to brisbane to finally get some track time and enjoy it.

oh yeah, just a random little update :P it sounds awesome man, cant wait to finally see this thing out on track.. give me a yell when you get back if you need a hand putting the engine in, i'v done it a few times with my mates car so i know the more hands the better.. ;)

well its update time as i have finally started working on this again.

got back in oz a few weeks ago now and had a few issuses with some things that were done and made for the car while i was away so i let it sit there, while i came up with a new plan of attack.

i have decided to get this thing mechanically reliable and putting out some decent power and sort out the handling before i make it look decent again.

i will be putting a heavily worked head filled with tomei cams, springs & retainers, manly valves and better stem seals on the red r motor and ordered a 6 boost manifold. i'll be cutting the rad support and moving the radiator 15-20mm to fit dual spal fans on the back, all fuel, water & oil lines will be braided except radiator hoses. all the bushes are being replaced with urethane.

the biggest decision i have made is i will be doing all fab work from now on. i've boughty a tig, drop saw and still yet to purchase a drill press, bench grinder/linisher and make a decent work bench.

so in the past week i removed the plenum and sent it off to crave coatings with the turbo front housing for powder coat in a raw aluminium colour and the engine covers to be done in crinkle coat black.

bought some 595rsr for the front and got them on along with ets rack spacers. tomorrow arvo i'll start cleaning up the rear brakes before their put on as i am waiting for backing plates to come up from melbourne.

during the week i will be removing the sump and checking the new motors all good then take the head off and get the new one on with a standard headgasket and arp head bolts.

i have next week to get a bit done then its back to work and i will have the weekends only. plan is to have this all good to go for engineering mid april.

i know the only thing that will be holding it up will be how quick i can get the hang of using the tig.

will get some pics up in the next few days

my rear brake backing plates finally showed up today, gave a them quick sand and hit em with some black brake paint. if i have any motivation tomorrow i may get them on.

TIG showed up too :D but can't get a bottle of gas til tuesday arvo so i went out and bought a carbon look cigweld auto dark helmet.

still no word on the manifold or when the other parts will arrive from craved coatings.

should be picking up the new head early next week and the motor will almost be ready to be put in.

glad the TIG showed up :D

now, what can i get you to make for me :P

glad the TIG showed up :D

now, what can i get you to make for me :P

first thing i am making is a work bench.

so as usual i haven't had much luck with this car lately. 6boost manifold hasn't turned up and lost a little bit of motivation until last night. had a few mates over to motivatre me while i put the new head on and finally finished that tonight.

all the parts from craved showed up and as usual can't fault chris' work, i can't recommend him enough for doing coatings.

motor waiting to go to its new home

P4050116.JPG

this car is now missing all its suspension and federal tyres as i got an absolute bargain(heaps cheaper than Harris' rig :P ) a few weeks ago......

P3310088.JPG

'91 model sr20 5spd

has 2876r, z32 afm, power fc, profec b II, nismo 555cc injectors, fmic, 3inch exhaust, sard reg and an unknown fuel pump and a nismo cluster. its got a fair bit of go in it. so i put the coilovers, adjustable arms and gtr seats in it and fitted up the federals, had a blast on the track.

the plan is to use this for the sprints while i finish off the sil80.

got gktech subframe locking collars, solid steering bush, r33 gtst brakes on the way for it. going to fit up a std airbox and redo the cooler pipes

and no i will not be getting hectic deep dish wheels but i'll see how many $$$ i have left when i get the sil80 finished.

expect more updates soon