Sign in to follow this  
SIL-013

shimming ca diff

hey

i have this stock turbo ca diff that i want to have shimmed up and put into my car but i have no idea what im doing. i have a guy that is doing the job and putting the diff in for me but he needs to know all the details but once again i have no idea.

so, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me all the details about shimming diffs and what you recommend me to do so it will lock up and slide but still reasonable to drive as a streeter

cheers

hey

i have this stock turbo ca diff that i want to have shimmed up and put into my car but i have no idea what im doing. i have a guy that is doing the job and putting the diff in for me but he needs to know all the details but once again i have no idea.

so, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me all the details about shimming diffs and what you recommend me to do so it will lock up and slide but still reasonable to drive as a streeter

cheers

Hey,

I am going through the process of getting my diff shimmed at moment.

get shims from nissan approx $10+ each

also you may want to make sure you have LSD or open diff as i think that most CA have open from what i have read, or they will have the smaller R180 diff.

The pics attached are a

R180 6 Bolt Open Diff

R200 5 Bolt LSD ( larger one ) note this is a r32 one which just has a different rear back plate.

If you have open diff then read the below link on how to weld it...

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/148126-how-weld-open-differential-approved.html

if you have an lsd then read the below on how to shim...

http://forums.d1nz.com/viewtopic.php?t=9610&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=9da4636c171cf39bfe23f8822dc239a2

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Diydiff-Shimming-R33-Gt-t164288.html&pid=4817589&st=80

Shim Sizes & Prices (@tradeprice):

0.80mm = 3842440f60 price = $10.12

0.85mm = 3842440f62 price = $14.67

0.90mm = 3842440f63 price = $9.97

1.01mm = 3842440f67 price = $9.79

1.05mm = 3842440f68 price = $14.40

1.10mm = 3842440f70 price = $6.37

1.20mm = 3842440f73 price = $6.37

1.30mm = 3842440f76 price = $10.89

1.40mm = 3842440f80 price = $6.37

1.49mm = 3842440f83 price = $6.37

s13diffs.jpg

diffs.jpg

• Upvote 1

this is what mine is

Picture248.jpg

and i just spoke with the dude that i bought it from and he said it was turbo lsd diff

yep that's an R200. There used to be a good thread on a NZ site but that has disappeared now. Where are you located?

from memory what i picked up when i was looking at doing mine like 12 months ago was that from factory theres close to 1.8mm of shims? (someone else may be able to back this up) so if you wanted what i guess they would call a rebuilt diff it would have close to that 1.8mm and react as a "stock" diff would.

i was after something that was tight but not locked and aimed for 2.2mm hoping that it would be locked for a bit but soon wear out, but ended up with 2.8mm of shims LOL its locked and hasnt worn out what so ever after 12 month of driving :D

Every diff will ahve a different size shim from factory as the viscus centres were all slightly different and they idea behind shimming them was to achieve a set torque between the two output shafts. in the ones i've done i've seen everything from a 0.8mm to 1.5mm shim. Also you only do one side. I know that people on here swear that you do both sides but even the factory manual states that only one side is an adjustment shim.

yeh that is correct with the 1.8mm there is a 1.0 somthing on one side and a .8mm on the other side we normally just use two new 1mm shims from nissan and if you want extra tight add the old .8mm shim as well when you take the diff apart make sure you note which direction and side the bearing caps come off use a paint pen to mark them and also take photos of it all as you pull it apart the half shafts flanges you just smack them out with a hammer also remember to mark which side each came out of than the centre will come out sometimes with a couple of pry bars then you unbolt the ring gear of the centre and there are 2 star head screws undo them and pull that apart you will see the shims replace them and start putting it back together remeber take heaps of photos dont rely on your memory :)

With the help of this article you will come up with the different tasks to make it more optional. Furthermore you will see assignment writing help is the only way that will suggest you to choose the right way.