Sign in to follow this  
1200ute

1200 Ute

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just a few small update photos.

I have made a few alterations to the rear 4-link. The engineer wanted the diff pinion angle adjusted and the front LCA's shortened.

IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2389.jpg

The rear is just tac welded for now, can anyone suggest a good welder out towards Cleveland to tig up the Chromoly top arms and mig out the brackets on the diff?

good work, how long til you will have it on the road?

look up Fabulous Fabrications he should be able to do all the welding.

Cheers mate, it will be a while until it is on the road. I work FIFO so I don't get much time to work on it.

I have Custom Cars by Clay lined u for now, I'll look up Fabulous Fabrication if it falls through.

Had the welding done. I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out. Ignore the plug welds though as I did them...

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Just trial fitting the rear bump stops.

photo 3.JPG

I also started on mounting the new arm rests. I think i'm just going to have these painted in black two pac.

photo 4.JPG

Edited by 1200ute

I received the engineering design approvals today for the LS3 & LS5 suspension codes. I'll get onto the other engineer tomorrow and get the last items done for the mod plate. Feels like it is actually progressing even though not much work is happening.

The car is engineered and mod plated!

9 codes in total - engine, gearbox, turbo, fuel tank & surge tank, diff, front and rear brakes, front suspension, rear 4 link suspension, seats and seat belts.

Awesome build man. I wish I had the knowledge, talent and patience to do this. I'd love to do a 1200 sedan build with a SR20.

I'll keep checking for updates. Keep it up

Cheers Smitty.

I haven't had much time lately to work on the ute.

Stripped the tyres of the steelies and had them sand blasted. I'm waiting to hear back about getting two of them widened then they can be painted or powder coated. I gave the steelies a quick light coat of rattle can clear to stop them rusting in the mean time. This apparently rubs off with thinners.

IMG_0545.JPG

Remounted the butterfly valve in a better position, gave it a coat of paint and stripped the paint off the valve covers.

IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

I have been getting the wiring sorted on the heater, blower fan and controls but no photos of that.

Cheers mate, I don't seem to get much time to work on it lately...

I had 2 wheels widened to 7 inch and then had all of them powder coated. Tyres were fitted up yesterday.

IMG_0964.JPG IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG

Tacked in the new mounts for the bump stops.

IMG_1138.JPG

Fuel tank vent valve has been mounted to the tank shield.

IMG_1140.JPG

Cheers mate, I'd like to say a few months but I don't get much time to work on this so its likely to just drag on and on.

I've been a bit lazy with up dating this lately - most pics have been going on facebook. I've had a bit of time off work and have been able to tick off some smaller jobs and I also found some pics of when I first start having work done on the ute.

IMG_1229.jpg IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

I had the spare cam covers welded up and AN10 fittings added.

IMG_1160.jpg IMG_1275.jpg

better shot of a steelie powder coated

IMG_1170.jpg

generic bonnet cable added - i relocated it into the guard and the original one was to short for this. I'll probably get something better quality at a latter stage.

IMG_1235.jpg

Simple number plate frame

IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1257.jpg

Modified some covers for the wiper arm nut.

IMG_1256.jpg IMG_1289.jpg

The engine cam out to make it easier to replace the lower inlet manifold. I want to run the butterfly valves but one of the mounts had been broken off at some stage.

IMG_1291.jpg IMG_1276.jpg

Managed to crack the knock sensor while pulling the lower manifold off so I glued it back together - Nissan wanted about $500 for a new sensor....

IMG_1285.jpg

The engine covers where stripped and sent for paint.

IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1311.jpg

I checked the spigot bearing while the engine was out and found that it was still the auto version so swapped it out.

IMG_1324.jpg

I made a grommet for the fuel filler pipe where it goes through the tray floor.

IMG_1286.jpg

The fuel lines and brake hose tidied up and a tank vent added. I also mount the charcoal canister to the side of the inlet manifold and am just waiting on some spring type hose clamps.

IMG_1288.jpg

Finally modified the mount for the new battery.

IMG_1290.jpg

I noticed that the steering idler arm didn't look right when I took the engine out. The bushes had disintegrated and crumbled onto the floor when I separated the idler arm. Replacement bushes were installed.

IMG_1312.jpg IMG_1313.jpg

The engine bay is all one colour now and the engine is back in. All the front panels, trim and the grille are mounted up now and I have a small list left for work forward of the firewall - still a long list for the cab though.

IMG_1356.jpg IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg IMG_1372.jpg

Now that all the old pics are back here are a few more.

I picked up a roof cut to use for making up a fibreglass headliner. I have done a bit more on it since then but it is almost ready for fibreglassing. The plan is to trim the fibreglass so it looks similar to a modern car.

IMG_1488.JPG

This is a mock up for cam sync, it is on the back burner as the CAS works fine for me at the moment.

IMG_1562.JPG

I finally mounted the hilux handle inside the tailgate trim. the mechanism was installed years ago. I plan on leaving the rusty shitty look for the tailgate trim for now and have cleared over the multiple layers of paint and the rust.

IMG_1566.JPG

I have a few bits the an want to sell as well.

S13 non-hicas cradle with toe arms.

CP pistons for CA18 83.5mm bore (0.5mm over size) and 9.0:1 CR BNIB

Aftermarket Industries 3L surge tank, twin 044s and bracket. Comes with 6AN fittings on the tank and pumps. This is new and hasn't been used but was fitted to my car.

Also, here is a pic of the 370z 6 speed dummied up behind the CA. Nothing has been done to make these bolt together, just had the motor out and thought it would be good to take a pic.

IMG_1314.JPG

^^^ Interested to see how you go with this. Looking good!

cheers mate, it'll be a while before any of those items are complete but i'll post photos as they are done.

Cheers mate, still slow progress with no noteworthy updates..

It has been over 6 months since the last update and i'm still on the first page...

Note much has been done but here a a few pics.

Drivers side mirror fitted

IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

Interior panels fitted

IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0460.JPG

Picked up some clear side indicator last year

IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG

Bought soe replacement S13 combo switches from Taarks

IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0498.JPG

A bit more progress with the fibreglass headliner

IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0578.JPG

Windscreen and rear glass is in

IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0566.JPG

Main items remaining now are to get the heater sorted, fit the carpet and then small mechanical items like replacing diff gasket, a once over for loose nuts/bolts, missing split pins etc, bleed brakes again as they are spongy and do a minor engine service.