Sign in to follow this  
swilly01

180sx headlight bulbs

Hello,

One of my headlights on my 180 has blown. I like to keep my car as standard/OEM and legal as possible and have never had the urge to 'upgrade' the headlights. But now since one has blown im looking at my options. I have done a fair bit of searching on NS and online on this.

Basically i three options:

1. Replace globe with standard filament globe. Cheap and keep legal, but poor light.

2. Get something like a Phillips halogen globe like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H4-Philips-Crystal-Vision-4300K-Halogen-Globes-bulbs-/110709517878?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c6cd2e36

Are these halogen globes legal? Wouldnt be looking at getting anything over 4300k. How do they go with glare to oncoming traffic?

3. Fit HIDs. Main thing here is that they will definitely be illegal, as 180s were never designed with them from the factory. Plus theres the issue of the outrageous glare i have read about to oncoming traffic as the 180 headlamps arent designed for HIDs. If i got something like this though, would it help as they are 'projecter headlamps' http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/89-98-Nissan-180SX-S13-Clear-Projector-Headlights-/260867392425?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbce883a9

Im not asking you guys to choose for me. Trying to find out if option 2 is legal and peoples experiences with these halogen globes (ie- should i get 4000k, 4300k or 5000k?, do they emit any glare to oncomming traffic like HIDs do?).

Also i would need to replace my parkers if i went with options 2 or 3. From what i read LEDs are the best option? Are these T10's? Again will these be legal if theyr not some outrageous blue colour? Or can i get a different type of globe which will match headlights but be legal?

Please excuse some dumb questions, this is the first time im learning about all this.

Will.

HIDs are illegal if the vehicle wasnt fitted to them as a factory option. Wereas LEDs are readily acceptable and not so deflectable.

For your headlights the best option is to get some Phillips extra bright globes. If you decide to go for hids then you can adjust the lights from the screws on the side of light surrounds to aim the light more down. This will not cause ur light to go everywere but give you a good aim of the hid light to the road surface.

All i can say is if you get HID's, make sure they're 35w. I went for 55w in my 180 and holy shit it spread and blinded everyone to the point where i took them out before driving the car. However my mate has HIDs and they look good, just bright and white but not over the top causing them to spread or anything, and they're 35w.

White LEDs (yes T10) are needed as parkers if you go for HIDs or the parkers will look totally yellow in comparison.

p.s nearly all phillips or similar globe designed to put out a white/blue tinge light still dont work too well due to the crapness of standard 180 lenses. They'll still look kinda yellow from my experience

you should consider raybrig or similar style housing with PIAA bulbs. winner imo

Thanks for the replies guys.

Miller.k: arent the lenses I posted the link to raybrig style ones? Or is it only the genuine raybrig which will make a difference?

I'm pretty sure I'll just go with some Phillips globes or something. But still unsure on the legalities of them. I read that the 4300k ones are legal but anything above is not? Can anyone confirm. Also there are Phillips bulbs which are "35w + 80%" but don't say what colour they are (what "k" rating). Any ideas? I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

Thanks again!

First confirm whether your 180 has sealed-beam globes or not. I thought all were sealed from the factory, but it seems some folks have regular housings, so you muhgt be lucky. You CANNOT install new globes or HIDs into sealed beams, as it's one giant light bulb.

If you have sealed beams, then you must either get replacement sealed beam globes, or get standard globe housings + bulbs/HIDs. Installation is simple, and the only change needed is to trim the rubber boot on the plug. Replacement housing options include:

- Raybrig

- 80s Honda Integra/Prelude

- 80s Toyota Celica

- 80's/90's Toyota Supra

- Probably any other 80's Jap car with popups except the MX-5 and NSX

If you were in NSW, I could hand you my old sealed beam globes for $6 (currently running Celica housings).

^^I was concerned about that but i just went out to check and i can remove the globe from the headlamp so all good. It already has a phillips globe in there, not sure if this is the OEM one that maybe phillips made for nissan or anything or if its one of the ones im looking at buying now.

Also has anyone ever cleaned/polished their headlamps? Would that make a difference (not even sure if possible to get inside the headlamps havent had a look yet).

Just bought some philips blue vision 4000k bulbs. Will install them soon and see how they are tonight.

I put a set of 35w hids in a 180sx and we fit the ballast and wiring all within the pop up light. So no exposed wires, and no mounting the ballast around the inner bar or engine bay. I'll post up pics tonight

the question i want to know is, what if a mud roller pulls you over and claims you have hids, when you're really running l.e.ds? you couldn't convince them they're not hids because both look blue.

the question i want to know is, what if a mud roller pulls you over and claims you have hids, when you're really running l.e.ds? you couldn't convince them they're not hids because both look blue.

These are halogen globes not LEDs we are talking about. If you pop the bonnent you could show that there's no ballasts connected maybe? They don't look like hids that much really.

Anyway I installed one of the philips blue visions and not sure if I like it. It's quite bright, but I was hoping for even a slight slight tinge of blue but it's more the colour of like a fluorescent light tube someones house or 7-11 ha.

I'm thinking I might try the crystalvisions. Do they have any hint of blue in them at all? Or are they just white? I don't wanna go the diamonds as they seem too blue and have heard they're terrible for light throw.

From what the phillips rep told me

Bluevison is just a bright white (stupid name right) same distance as normal. Legal

Anything above that, crystal/dimond you start to loose distance and they are illiagal due to colour rating

There +50 and +80 are some colour as stock... Or maybe only 100k difference. But some customers said that the beam of light is a bit more of a pencil beam and doesnt spread the light as much.... Possible to gain the extra distance

Hid's are horrible in all refector style housing.... But especially worse in 180s because the pop up sits so high and scatters it everywhere

So is there any blue tinge at all to the crystal visions?

So is there any blue tinge at all to the crystal visions?

Just a tinge. You can mostly tell by looking directly at the light then on the road that its got blue in it

Here is a very useful old thread with a scan of a bulb comparison in Autosalon magazine:

http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=322200

I use the Calibre Xenon Blue 4000K, which is not as blue as BlueVision, and they are heaps cheaper than Philips bulbs (less than half the price).

These ones: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Calibre-Halogen-Globe-12V-60-55W-Xenon-Blue-Extra-Vision-Performance-2-Pack.aspx?pid=120192#Description

To me they don't even really look blue, not compared to my polarg parkers.

That magazine review in the thread above says Crystalvision is "Bluer than BlueVision".

Thanks for that magazine article. From what I can see, you're right in suggesting the Calibre Xenon to be the prefect choice in regard to colour and brightness, and also being similar and cheaper than the Phillips....

as promised pics of a 35w kit with all hid wiring in the pop up light

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

006.jpg

got kits available for $60 each

^^Nice price, but if i went HIDs i would want to do it properly and get proper projecter headlamps which cut the light off and dont blind people etc.

Think im going to get the crystal visions and put them in, just want something a touch bluer than the bluevisions.

So my bluevisions brand new might be up for sale soon.

I got 6000k HID on my 180 and I sometimes get other vehicles flash me thinking im on high beams. You'll definitely need to reduce the light emitted

Been getting conflicting reports about if crystal visions actually have any blue tinge to them so dont know what to do hah. Probably keep the blue visions i suppose.

Technical support was available at this it has some facts to read that was available to have on it this will also show some activities. I used to get some data on this that was at bestessays reviews this was share by some other users that were about the products on it.