Sign in to follow this  
Rolled Cambers

Bleeding/adjusting lifters.

Hey so I am having weird noises coming from the engine.

As before I thought it was injectors, but after taking it out for a spin I have come to another conclusion. Lifters need bleeding/adjusting.

My mechanic won't bleed them for me because he still thinks they are injectors, which I highly doubt because it's louder then what injectors sound like!!

I searched through here to find any topics, "Bleeding lifters" "Adjusting lifters" Etc but didn't find any.

Also looked on google but there was no thorough explanation.

I know the method of taking them out, submerging in oil and pumping on it until no bubbles start to form, then reinstalling them in.

Is that all? Just remove, pump, install? Or have I missed something?

I also read that you can adjust them, but only if they are adjustable lifters. Is the sr20 adjustable? Or manual bleeding required?

Would it help if I uploaded a video for you to hear the noise or?

sr20's in general are fairly noisy, lifters cannot be adjusted as they are hydraulic lifters, injectors can be noisy which lets off a loud ticking sound similair to noisy lifters. one of ur lifters could be fked. to fix that cams out and its just underneath em. buttttt jst listen to ur mechanic i guess, its hard to diagnose problems over the net when ppl cant physically hear or see ya car

btw u can put hydraulic lifters in ur car without bleeding it. it bleeds itself when u install to ur car and start it up, its actually better not to bench bleed as u can fk it up when u install the cams in.

Any tips on how to do either?

Matronic the sound is way too loud for it to be injectors, I know injectors are noisy, especially on the sr20, but not like mine, I've had 2 other sr20 silvias and neither had this much noise!

It sounds diesel, it's not a bearing or rods cause it's too quiet for that, and it's not TAP TAP TAP it's more like tik tik tik tik.

I'd rather bench bleed them, but what's the best way on removing them?

no tappet noise mate.. sounds pretty normal to me. last noise to me sounded like an ac compressor thats getting worn out

sounds like you have a rattle/loose bolt somwhere when you rev it, your lifters dont need to be blead they sound fine. The rattle at the end could be slack on the timing chain, when was the tensioner done? does it make the same sound somtimes at startup? when cold..

Sorry guys, that was a cold start. :hammer:

So the end noise is a slack timing chain?

I'll take another vid when it's warmed up, took it for another drive late last night and it was horrible!

Totally different sound to the video above!!

I had a look through that already, not much info apart from what I know already, It did refresh my mind but yeah I've read the whole page.

it might not be mate, have you taken the top timing chain guide out? Your lifters do sound fine mate, you will notice when they get loud. It maybe harder to hear on the video but you have nothing to worry about apart from the last rattle. which sounds like nothing major, just have to find it.

If it is the tensioner it will do it cold and warm, because it is fully adjusted out, i upgraded mine to the s15 one for my redtop.

Edited by INMATE

I've had two s13s that have rattle/ ticking noises ,

And was told buy two machanics that it was injectors but nope ,

Personally I don't think urs sounds fine,

Have u taken the rocker cover off?

Hmm yeah, I haven't taken the cover off.

Small sounds just do your head in after a while. You know when you get annoyed about something small and just have to sort it out?!

well it's your engine! you need to sort that shit out or....

Theres def somthing there, alot of us have chased weird rattles and noises here and there.. you just gotta find yours, take it easy with the car.

Exactly was he said :) that chain guide thingy na boby is a good start

But I would take that rocker cover off ASAP, n have a look around

And sr lifters are not self bleeding , deff do it on a bench n do it properly , if it comes to that,

Sweet as cheers for the replies.

SR NRG - Ah never heard of dumping them in kero! All I've read and heard is to dump them in oil and pump pump pump until hard.

I'll see how I go after Thai.

All my cash has gone into the trip, but when I come back I'm looking at heaps of dumb mods for it, including maybe a rebuild.

But my priority is the shell at the moment.

Yeah yeah I know the allen key trick. I just said it quickly.

Anyways here's another video after a bit of driving. You can notice the difference between the 2 videos.

at first i was going to say ur vct but after listening to your vid i doubt its that, my bf had a louder noise than that (i have it too sometimes when its cold but goes away once warmer) and his mechnaic changed the lifters and it wasnt that he ended up having to change the vct instead now its fixed.

With yours i'd say injectors, mine is a lil loud too, maybe you can just clean them and see how it goes?

Listen to SR NRG, he seems to know what hes on about.

When I installed my cams, I also installed new lifters. Purchased them dirt cheap, non-genuine for about $40 (nice trade price)

I had a pretty annoying rattle too. As its an S15 everyone on another forum was like 'VCT rattle'

Anyway, installed cams, lifters and rocker stoppers. There is still a bit of noise, but nothing like it was.

If you like visuals, like most of us do. Check out this website http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to-build-a-9000-rpm-sr20det-head.html Go to the section regarding Bleeding Lifters and you'll see pictures and a little video you can download.

When bleeding as SR NRG said, make sure they are rock hard and all the air bubbles have escaped.

Bleeding and adjusting some lifters need to get technical support it has some program to read on this. I have to make partition on this that have trust my paper reviews this was share by some users or they almost have all the data that was share on it.