Sign in to follow this  
CaBS

SXDevelopments 180SX (SXD180) - CNC Shiny stuff

The next day was a mission out to south windsor to pickup steel. We had been planning on making a chassis stand so the car can roll around the garage/workshop with no subframes in it for awhile.

Here are some pics anyhow.

Drivers side parcel shelf thingo out.

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5531.jpg

I didnt stuff it up too badly maybe someone will buy it? lol

IMG_5532.jpg

The other side was shivering in its welds ready for the next days linaging! tongue.png

IMG_5534.jpg

Edited by CaBS

Got a fair bit done that weekend. I spent about 9-10 hours chipping away at things on Saturday afternoon/evening. I got the other side of the "parcel shelf" out and the seat belt mounting point. Along with the spare tyre bracket in the tyre well. I also cleaned up the passenger side of the tunnel from all the tar and removed 90% of the seam sealer along that join in the floor on that side.

Sunday arvo wheats and nfi came over and helped me sort out all the boxes of crap and they got stuck into the seam sealer from the rear towers down to the rear passengers foot wells on both sides. Damn the air die cutter is loud my neighbors will have no love! Thanks for the help too guys! :)

Anyhoo some pics!

Looks far tidier in the rear without the side parts in I think. Cars looking very bare now! :)

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

The foot well I've cleaned up with solvent/rag/paint scraper needs abit more work.

IMG_5556.jpg

Surprise shot, say cheese!

IMG_5565.jpg

Accelerator pedal position shot so front leg of the cage doesn't interfere later.

IMG_5569.jpg

The wire brush makes fast work of the sealer

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

Its the last week or two there will be so much room in there to move!

IMG_5576.jpg

Horde of sheat deemed "unnecessary" ;)

IMG_5580.jpg

More soon!

guessing a full cage is going in which should rectify this?

keep up the good work, very motivating :)

Wouldn't the parcel shelf things provide ridgity?

yeah thats what i was thinking, if not then out goes mine

Wouldn't the parcel shelf things provide ridgity?

If it connected to the tower alot better I'd say yes. I think the amount of ridgity it provides compaired to what I have done is not note worthy though imo. Also they get in the way of the cage legs connecting to towers properly which will provide way more ridgity than the parcel shelf ever could.

guessing a full cage is going in which should rectify this?

keep up the good work, very motivating :)

Spot on and thanks! =) Usually its me getting motivated by other peoples builds. :P

Edited by CaBS

I got rid of that parcel shelf crap as well because it got in the way of my Cage

Looking forward to seeing pics of cage

I'd halted work until this point because the car needed to be weather proof but things have now changed and the cage will all be made under cover. I'd settled on a cage design which were are a few minor points still to be decided on. The cage will come in way over what I budgeted for but the end result should be the best possible design for rigidity while still maintaining my street registration. Which is a limitation but I enjoy my weekend drives too much to give them up.

Some pics =)

Some serious work will be happening here for the cage. One of the most exciting things that I'm looking forward to seeing most is the difference it makes once driving the car in anger :)

IMG_5939.jpg

Rear end as it was

IMG_5942.jpg

These will be going up on the for sale thread, as far as aftermarket lights go I think these are the better 180 ones I've seen. Got some original type x lights coming to replace them.

IMG_5949.jpg

Ugly ugly ugly! No need for this anymore.

IMG_5953.jpg

Apparently I'm shit at taking out windscreens managed to break it before I'd even gotten the seal out =( Made a rather large mess of everything too.

IMG_5967.jpg

Now with less ugly (slightly)

IMG_6002.jpg

Edited by CaBS

The car got picked up to get the cage done. Was pretty excited and nevous to see the results and if it'd turn out like I hoped it would. Headed over and checking it out a few times to get progress shots. I was told I should be able to pick it up on/before the next weekend all going well! =D

Its looking very bare now without the windscreen in. I was recommended a glass guy to get my rear quarter windows out without cracking them (very tricky apparently) by a mate. They should have been taken out today so I'll bring them home for safe keeping when I go to checkout the progress.

Some pics.

IMAG0106s.jpg

IMAG0107s.jpg

IMAG0109s.jpg

IMAG0110s-1.jpg

Edited by CaBS

I got afew things done on that weekend. I dropped over to the workshop to checkup on the cage building progress on friday afternoon. Things were getting a move on with the main hoop and front legs had already been bent up.

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6010.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

These are the brackets being used for the removable sections very solid and neat/compact and had all already been made up. Very happy with how they've turned out!

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6006.jpg

On the Saturday afternoon we were over at the workshop doing some bits and pieces on two other cars. I decided to pull the intake manifold off as its one less thing to worry about later on. Pulled the whole thing off in once piece. I'm strongly considering deleting the heater core from inside the cabin and running an alternative option. This would mean I can remove all the heater lines from under the manifold in the second picture here. Its a total shit fight under there and its better than standard already. You can see where I'd previously removed the coolant line to the standard throttle body and looped it back into itself. At this stage I was still planning on keeping the standard S13 intake plenum and throttle body.

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

On the Sunday afternoon I decided to drain the fuel tank and stick the 25 odd liters I pulled out in the daily. I found an old fuel flap in the bottom of the tank. God knows how long its been knocking around in there! =) The tank scrubbed up quiet well I think I might polish the bottom just before it goes back in so it looks schmick. We may also paint it I havent decided yet. =)

IMAG0111s.jpg

IMAG0115s.jpg

IMAG0117s.jpg

IMAG0118s.jpg

IMAG0119s.jpg

IMAG0121s.jpg

Edited by CaBS

Mate looking sweet cant wait to see it finished!

One question, wouldn't it be better to change the intake manifold and throttle body? You have some quality parts going into the motor

Mate looking sweet cant wait to see it finished!

One question, wouldn't it be better to change the intake manifold and throttle body? You have some quality parts going into the motor

Thanks man, the idea of having the stroker was to keep the rpm down and make it nice and torquey. The stock plenum from what I've seen its pretty good at making power down low. I might be changing direction with this though.

Ugh was gonna do another post but can only use ky mobile. Keep getting sent to some hack nazibanking site from my pc. =\

Had the same issue. Disabling JavaScript solved it though!

Build looks epic btw!

Edited by Ghettobean

Had the same issue. Disabling JavaScript solved it though!

Build looks epic btw!

Thanks man on both counts. I just disabled java script and I'm no longer getting redirected. Its annoying though I dont think its on my end either as I logged in from a different PC all together and had the same problem. Grrr

The Monday on my way to work I popped into the workshop again to checkout the progress. The main hoop had been tacked in and the 3mm plate was in the process of being welded and moulded to the rear strut towers.

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

Later that week I would hopefully get the car back cage complete and also pickup my new SX Developments chassis stand for the next stage of the build. =)

I went over and had a look at the progress two days later and the cage was nearing finished. The cross in the rear and boxes for main hoop and front legs still need to be completed. There will be one cross in the main hoop also. Some things are still only tacked in so still need to be welded properly though. The main hoop is as tight as possible while still having the door crosses removable.

I was also waiting on some pre-fab parts to arrive for the engine bay that would hopefully arrive sooner rather than later cause they'd be done at the same shop. I'd like to avoid shipping the car home just to pay to go back again in a weeks time.

Some pictures anyhow!

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

Pretty happy with where it was at thus far! =)

Edited by CaBS

That is looking very good mate - can't wait to see more progress pics!

How far behind the 'real world' are these pics?

That is looking very good mate - can't wait to see more progress pics!

How far behind the 'real world' are these pics?

These were still from late October last year car has had on average around 20-30 hours a week of work done on it since then. Quickly catching up though with 1 or two posts a day... =)

Wont take long till I've caught up and then obviously updates will slow down a bit. Hopefully not too much though!

Edited by CaBS

How hard is it to get the front legs out with the dash in?

The dash will have to come out to get them out. I still haven't decided if I'm running the original dash or an S15 one I've got my hands on. Having said that the dash will be alot easier than stock to take in and out as well but it is still a hassle.

Really like the amount of work that's gone into this build.

I'm a rookie when it comes to some things so I just wanted to ask, what's the benefit of having removable sections? (Such as the side intrusions). Will this make it welded in but road legal or is it for ease of access when you need to work on certain things?

Really like the amount of work that's gone into this build.

I'm a rookie when it comes to some things so I just wanted to ask, what's the benefit of having removable sections? (Such as the side intrusions). Will this make it welded in but road legal or is it for ease of access when you need to work on certain things?

Thanks bud, the only benefit is being able to remove the bars from the drivers area when driving the car on the street (for legal reasons) otherwise they'd all be welded in which is cheaper and better for safety/rigidity.

I went and checked out the finished cage another two days later. I'm really happy with the result its very close to how I had it pictured in my head. The splice joints look really neat and its not stupidly hard to remove them but not easy either. I'd much rather have them more time consuming to remove and provide some rigidity though which I think these will.

The car was supposed to be towed over tomorrow by get it "CAMEL TOW Towing" lol. I've asked him to cancel the job if its raining though as I couldnt afford to get everything wet with all the bare metal and no windscreen. Anyhow some pictures... keen to see what you guys think of it its abit compromised but I think its the best weight/function I could achieve.

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

I couldnt wait to get stuck into it and clean up all the welds with the linager along with the seam welding prep! I might have to buy some looser fitting jeans or hit the treadmill if I plan on getting in and out of it with the door bars in though lol. =)

Edited by CaBS

your cage is very similar to mine but u have a few more extra bar's because your going all the way through to your engine bay

i also made custom tops for the strut tower so the cage could be welded to the top of the strut tower and not the side of it

IMG_0936.jpg

i like the design of the bolt in connections

never seen those types before they would have to be my favorite

they really are the neatest bolt in connections i have seen for a roll cage

keen to see what you guys think of it its abit compromised but I think its the best weight/function I could achieve.

I really like the style of joins used in the cage, haven't seen them before but they're very neat and appear sturdy. The rest of the cage looks a bit too compromised in my opinion. Not to say its bad or anything, just looks like you were more focused on making the car tighter with the minimum weight penalty and not so much the safety side of things.

keen to see what you guys think of it its abit compromised but I think its the best weight/function I could achieve.

I really like the style of joins used in the cage, haven't seen them before but they're very neat and appear sturdy. The rest of the cage looks a bit too compromised in my opinion. Not to say its bad or anything, just looks like you were more focused on making the car tighter with the minimum weight penalty and not so much the safety side of things.

I'd say your pretty much spot on with your opinion of it there. The cage is mostly for rigidity then for roll over protection I'll never see proper door to door racing so side intrusion wasnt a major priority. It will still provide some side protection but keeping weight down is high on the priority list and every bar is a few kg extra.

Edited by CaBS

Yeh i was going to comment on the joiners when i saw your ride on NRR, i thought all joins and removeable sections for cams cages had to be sleeved and double bolted or soemthig to similar effect, or aren'tyou getting this log booked?

other wise nice work on the rest of the car mate!