Hey guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to Turbos etc, as I haven't had much experiance. But a little bit back I bought a GT2871R (52T), and was wanting to install it into my 180sx.

When I bought the car I was told it had a T28 In it (S15 Turbo?). Anyway, today was the the I decided to do the swap over. After about 2 hours I pulled out the turbo and behold, it looks exactly the same as the new one that I had aside.

Here's the photo of them next to eachother.

post-96993-0-36939400-1341652668_thumb.jpg

The wastegate actuator doesn't fit properly on the New one, I have to 'stretch' it a little. So i'm not sure whats going on :|

Any info guys? Do they look the same? As far as I can tell i've taken out the turbo for no damn reason.

Cheers,

-Alex

They may look the same but the 2871 has a bigger compressor wheel.

If you measure the inducers the T28 (GT2560R) will have a 46.5mm inducer and the GT2871R will have a 51.2mm inducer.

Edited by D_Stirls

Most people who buy the 2871 get it with the s15 comp housing, so they will look the same. It's what's inside that counts!!

a little stretch doesnt hurt.. call it pre load.. or if your concerned buy an adjustable one.. not too expensive..

One thing that does concern me is that the old turbo does not look like a stock T28.. the inducer is too large and there is no lip (step down) on the comp cover..

Different compressor and turbine wheels. That's the gt2871r in s15 comp cover and .64 rear housing so it's meant to kinda look the same as far as the front and rear housings go.

Thats what I mean I cant see the difference between the two.. they both look like 2871 in s15 comp covers.. the only difference is the 1-1 and the 1-2.. so one of the housings was originally a s15 BB turbo..

Edited by chris2712au

Could've been a bb, but blade pitch etc will be different, and i'm pretty sure the number of turbine blades will be different too. Show a picture of the exhaust side too, maybe

Edited by fiend.

Alright, well this has given be abit of an insite/info to the turbo area and a bit of hope. Either way the new one is going in but I just want to feel satisfied is all since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the current turbo that was on there.

I'll post them up tomorrow, but the exhaust side does look slightly different. Like I said the wastegate actuator doesn't fit as well on the new one so something is different on it.

Cheers,

-Alex

If you look at the turbine (exhaust) side you will see a big difference in the size of them.

Fairly crap photo but heres the one I took just before of the exhaust side.

Look pretty close to me :|

post-96993-0-78625500-1341712678_thumb.jpg

-Alex

Edited by Ematwo

different number of blades, different size blades, i think it's become clear that they are two very different turbos with only similar housings.

If only I could somehow get a full gt30 in 60mm trim into an s15 front housing and t28 rear with internal wastegate that still had the response of the t3's.

After having a closer inspection, yes. I am able to see the differences from the outside...

I wasn't able to put the 2871 in today because of the oil drain pipe was different so i'm waiting on that. I spent half the day cleaning up threads and finding new nuts/bolts to put on as myself and the previous owner had screwed in doing repairs in the past.

Thanks for everyone who posted, I learnt something new :)

Can't wait to feel the power of the 2871R.

<3

post-96993-0-26710200-1341735327_thumb.jpg

-Alex

Edited by Ematwo

looks like the old one was a GTIR T28 Turbo.. from the ex wheel differences.. what was it doing in terms of power and boost with the old turbo ?

I'm not 100% Sure. The old owner was the one who put it on, I had the dyno sheet around here somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

I [think] it was 187rwkw at 17PSI. But that was before I chucked the injectors, fuel pump etc on it.

-Alex

Edit: Maybe it was 197... I donno it was a while ago :\ I've just been adding since I bought it, after I change the clutch and diff over i'm going to Dyno it again.

Edited by Ematwo

Nisan company is one of the biggest and largest companies in the world and in the industry of auto car company. Many users check his latest model on customwritings.com reviews and then ready to buy the new Nissan model with all spare parts information.