Sign in to follow this  
offworlda

SR20det knocking like a pro

Hey guys, I own a s14 s1 with sr20det black top. I've been reading through the forums here and all over the net for quite a few months now just trying to get some ideas down. Anyway here is the story.

Got a knock that comes in around 3,000rpm and above. Idles fine. It can be on load or just revving in neutral the knock will sound the same. Knock sounds like its coming from the head. Other than the knocking sound, she performs like normal.

She is pretty much factory except the usual, cat back, front mount, hd clutch. I got a nistune daughter board but its still running factory tune.

Done a compression test, everything was fine. Checked oil squirts they were fine. Checked vtc solenoid it was fine. Tried listening to the bottom end with a stethoscope and they sounded fine. Oil looks fine (no flakes or water or anything)

Thinking maybe hydraulic lifters, or maybe chain tensioner. (Thought I would be able to hear the lifters at idle if they had air in them though.)

Just want some advice or feedback, any information really. Got no cash right now so going to be awhile before i can really get busy with it but anything from anyone would really help.

-Thanks guys :)

ps:(no vid yet, if requested will get one tomorrow)

Are you sure its 3000rpm and not around 1700rpm? I would guess its related to the VCT solenoid or gear unit. When these things are on the way out they make a hell of a noise.

Is the noise noticeably louder towards the front of the rocker cover on the throttle body side? If so VCT most definitely.

Wont be the lifters at 3000rpm, does it only do it under load or no load?

Try keeping the revs at 3000rpm and disable one cylinder at time to see if the noise changes

If it does it's bottom end related bearings if not its in the top end possibly VCt

Hey guys, Yeah im sure its around 3000, lowest would probably be around 2500, i'll get exact numbers tomorrow. First time i heard it was more towards the intake side at the back of the engine (closest to fire wall)

I'll trying disabling one cylinder at a time tomorrow and post results :)

Thanks so much for the info.

Take off the rocker cover and remove the timing chain guide between the two gears. Its not even fitted to S15s and can cause a noise. Won't hurt to try.

Well i tried taking a vid but the sound is really bad so not going to bother uploading. I brought tue revs up to 3k and removed one coil at a time. Turns out the knocking completely went away when i removed the spark from the piston closest to the firewall. Going to drop the sump on the week and have a look at the bearings, thanks for all the advice people :)

is there anyways to know if its the bottom end bearing or the pin at the top of the con rod?

it will be the bottom end bearing.

dont bother taking sump off in the car.. remove the whole motor.

We can get hosting on the Nissan Silvia after sharing their price detail in the market people can buy this when they get aware. Having said that assignment help uk is there to show us the purchaser and views.